From the minds of freshmen: A variety of opinions to ponder

Wrapping my head around it

I cannot wear a headband or have facial hair in basketball because the high school will not let me.

It is so dumb. I sweat a lot and would love to wear a headband, especially because I have a lot of them. Also, headbands help with not getting sweat in my eyes.

I am not sure if they think it looks stupid or cocky, but headbands actually help. I can see how arm sleeves or leg sleeves would not be allowed because I am not sure what the point of them are, and it does indeed look very cocky.

When I play other teams, I see so many people with headbands, and the sweat is not getting all in their face. It is easily the most useful accessory in basketball.

I’m not sure at all how it can look cocky. I guess it does kind of look dumb, but it is more of a need.

— Adam FitzGerald

Why Homecoming needs to make a comeback!

Homecoming happened for the last time at De Pere High School around 16 years ago. It was banned because of extreme hazing that went on, but does that mean mean they should punish the next 5,000 or more students that went to DPHS?

Many students do not know why homecoming was banned, yet they do not have the opportunity to participate. It is ridiculous that students today are being punished by what people in their 30s have done. Not only are kids being punished for something that they did not do, giving them a sense of guilt for no reason, but takes away from their school spirit and removes something to look forward to.

It feels like the school is trying to bring us down and punish us for something completely out of our control. Once the school takes something as big homecoming for almost two decades; it truly impacts kids emotionally more than they know it.

— Trevor Ramm

Spanish should not be required to get into college

Why is Spanish a necessary subject to take in high school if you want to go to college? I believe Spanish doesn’t help me learn anything when teachers only talk in Spanish.

I don’t see how going to college to follow your dreams is only possible if a person takes Spanish classes for two years. Kids come to school to learn useful things they will need to know for the future, not to learn a whole different language that doesn’t do us any good. I just don’t understand why Spanish is a needed subject everyone needs to take to go to college.

— Chase Dahlke

The stress of writing a paper

Not many people know how hard it is to write a newspaper article that is attracting to the audience. Making an appealing article is one of the most difficult things a writer goes through. This is very difficult because it makes the writer push his creativity to the max.

Many children in school are already stressed about keeping up their grades, making friends, and many other issues. Why do we have to add the stress of creating a newspaper article attracting to the audience? I think teachers should understand that kids are going through a lot, especially during their high school years, so teachers should be easier on the students. I understand that teachers are just trying to teach the kids, but that should vary from different classes.

For example, if a student is in a newspaper club, then it would be totally OK to have them write papers and creative headings.  It’s like making a kid sign up for math class and having that kid run a mile every class period. Teachers need to understand that certain students are better at some subjects than others.

— Lily Alpert

Is it the flu, or are students faking it?

It’s exam week and with all the stress our immune systems are down and vulnerable, which makes it easier for us to catch the flu or other viruses.

Personally, I dislike being sick, so if you are aren’t feeling so good, go home and get some rest before exams, because being at school getting everyone else sick is not going to help.

People who have the flu can infect people up to six feet away from them, so be careful who you sit by and walk past in class. The flu can be spread by coughing, sneezing and even talking.

With everyone getting the flu, how many of them do you think actually have it? The flu is very infectious, but you never know who could be faking.

Are the kids of DPHS faking it? Or is the flu really taking over? You decide.

— Sylvia Murphy

Does the phone policy need an upgrade?

By Brett Byczek

A major shift in electronics over the last decade has changed policies and rules in schools.  Here at De Pere High School, the policy is that students cannot be on their phone during instructional time unless the teacher gives permission.  Although by some students this rule is loosely followed, should it be changed? Some strongly say yes, some strongly say no.  

Students argue that it will help them learn, but what could they possibly be doing on their phone that helps them so much more than a teacher? There are many websites, apps, and resources on our fingertips that could help, but we are so distracted with social media apps: SnapChat, Instagram, Twitter, etc.  Altogether, students think that it could help.

The opposition is that many people believe in the extremely useful websites and learning apps.  Apps can enhance learning by teaching at a student’s own pace. Students will be more productive if they are comfortable learning by themselves rather than learning inside a classroom in a group.

The phone policy here at DPHS is a controversial rule, but the policy will not be heavily followed if the teachers do not enforce it. And if no teachers enforce it there will be no phone policy at all.  Having no phone policy could seriously hurt the students, but too loose of a policy will be too much freedom and create issues as well.  What should we do? Should the phone policy be stricter or looser?

Wi-Fi needs to be relaxed for more site access

By Jonathan Gauthier

De Pere High School needs to fix the Wi-Fi for students to be able to access important apps on their phones for school work.  

Every teacher in the school hates kids being on their phones while they are teaching, but some kids may be using their phones for useful activities.  The Wi-Fi does not let students access all the social media such as Instagram and Snapchat.  During this century, students need to be able to access their social media at least 7 times a day or they don’t know what is happening in the social world.  

If De Pere High School changes the access, students can save a lot of money by not using their data. Plus, students might get their work done faster so then they are able to go on social media when they are done with their school work.  This is a win-win situation for the students and the teachers, because when the students get their work done they get to go on their phones, and then they are happy. Then, the teachers are happy because the students will get their work done right away.