• August 30School year starts Sept. 4

AP Research course needs to have English designation

Emma Jo Hirschy, Editor in chief

Writing and reading are normally classified under the English category. Not to mention, researching also pertains to the writing process – no matter what the writing is about.

Students in the AP seminar class are expressing their frustrations with administration’s call to place the AP research, the second course following AP Seminar, under the Social Studies category.

Being a student in AP Seminar, I can share that frustration.

According to the College board, AP Research is defined as the following:

“In the AP Research course, students further their skills acquired in the AP Seminar course by understanding research methodology; employing ethical research practices; and accessing, analyzing, and synthesizing information as they address a research question. … The course culminates in an academic paper of 4000–5000 words (accompanied by a performance or exhibition of product where applicable) and a presentation with an oral defense.”

For starters, the College Board literally confirms that the class is the continuation of the AP Seminar course, which is identified as an English credit. In Seminar, students write argumentative and research based essays. Not to mention, students also go on to present the information to their classmates.

These aspects all are things found in English classes at the high school. We are at second semester and have finished numerous writing assignments. While writing is in every class, the writing in both of these courses are excessive and pertain mostly to a writing course.

Another thing confirmed by the Board is that there is a final paper written in AP Research that consists of 4,000-5,000 words. Do you know the average required word count in a high school English class? Roughly 1,000-2,000 words, which is around 5 to 7 pages long.

Most of us do not need anymore Social Studies credits, exception to Government and Econ. We entered AP Seminar with the expectations of finishing the fourth year of required English credits in the AP Research class, which is a continuation of the current English class we are in.

We have accumulated all of this information with intentions of going on to finish our English credit for the class we had been preparing for.

While the course does involve current events, the English aspects trumps the Social Studies categorization.