• August 30School year starts Sept. 4

Students understand backpack rule, even if they don’t like it

Sydney Zimmerman and Ivy Hamblen

It’s that time of year again, with school well underway, that the hundreds of students here at De Pere High School complain about the backpack policy. A commonly overheard conversation among students in the halls consists of one student complaining about sore arms and another griping about the school policy regarding backpacks.

The backpack policy is printed on page 70 of the student planners and can also be found on the school’s website, under the student tab, in “Student Handbook.” Clear as day, the policy forbids students from carrying any type of bag, including purses and laptop bags.

So what do the DPHS students really think?

Allison Beining, a junior, said, “Good for student safety, but it’s hard for students to always carry their books around, and lockers are a pain in the butt. Or, honestly, we could have clear bags!”

Along the same lines, junior Katrina Kupsky said, “It sucks when you have AP classes because you have to carry all that stuff, but I understand why we have it.”

Another solution came from junior Patrick Moeller, who added, “I think our locker shortage would be solved because students could carry everything they needed instead of using a locker.”

Patrick also suggested having backpack passes, similar to the parking passes, where there would be a certain criteria people would have to meet. This would include the staff to reserve the right to search a backpack, and, of course, requiring the student to be code approved.

Leisl Buchholz’s answer to the recurring issue was to add a few extra minutes each day to passing time.

“I’m willing to have 10 minutes at the end of the day if it means more passing time,” she said.

Freshman Ella Guex, who transferred to De Pere from a Green Bay middle school, said that this policy is stricter than Green Bay’s.

“We were allowed to have bags (at Edison), and to me personally that was really nice,” she said. “The positives are that you are forced to be organized, but my locker is on the first floor, but most of my classes are on the second. With a backpack you can have everything. I wish we could have small bags on us, just to have something to put our pencils and notebooks in.”

Math teacher Mr. Johnson said he sees both sides.

“Well, I understand the reason why they do it, for the safety,” he said. “Certainly it makes it harder for students to get to class.”

Officer Arkens said that the idea of not having backpacks was less for violence and more for room codes.

“Violence is not the biggest issue, it was health concerns,” Arkens said. “We have to keep these rooms free of clutter (to follow safety codes).”

1 Comment

One Response to “Students understand backpack rule, even if they don’t like it”

1. Emma Jo Hirschy on October 10th, 2018 8:15 am

I think in regard to this issue, preventing violence is hardly the issue. When you think about it, a student could simply put a weapon in their pencil cases. Have you seen some of the huge cases girls carry around school? Yeah, they’re definitely large enough to carry a weapon. Not to mention, we have yet to have any issues with any of our students currently injured and allowed to carry a backpack. I used to live in Georgia and let me tell you, carrying a backpack was the best thing they let us do. I never used my locker and was on time to all of my classes. Here at DPHS, I have neglected using a locker for all 4 years of my high school years. It is such an inconvenience, I would much rather carry all of my stuff, including my fragile computer. If the school is worried about what may be put inside the backpacks or what they are used for, I would like them to refer to the hundreds of JanSport customers I talk to daily about how they resolved their issues. I work as a customer service representative for JanSport and most customers who’s schools are scared of this, say they resolved it simply through mesh and clear back packs. There’s a solution.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Features

What do to if your phone gets hacked

• Students understand backpack rule, even if they don’t like it

Features

Mosquitoes are having us for lunch

• Features

What do to if your phone gets hacked

News

Volunteers teach De Pere High to vote

Showcase

De Pere community rallies support for Taylor

Showcase

New teacher ‘belts’ out equations

Showcase

Mrs. Bielinski is psyched about DPHS

Showcase

Where there’s a Will, there’s a way

• Opinions

If I won the lottery this week …

Blogs

Power Puff photos