New teacher ‘belts’ out equations

Back to Article
Back to Article

New teacher ‘belts’ out equations

Brianna Hone, Staff writer

Every year comes with new kids, new routines, a worse sleep schedule, and if you’re lucky, a new teacher.

This year a new math teacher, Mr. Andrew Belter, has stepped into the ring. He grew up here in Green Bay and enjoys sports, including football and softball. He competed in track and field for both Green Bay Preble HS and Lawrence University.

When asked why he began teaching, Mr. Belter said it’s because he appreciates math, and sees how math can help solve problems. He is also fond of showing students how math can be useful.

Mr. Belter has been teaching for nine years — five of those being in China at the northeast side for three years, and the other two at the southeast.

“I went to China right after college for an adventure and took the chance to travel,” he said.

During that trip he saw places like the Philippines, Thailand, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

Mr. Belter also taught math both at AP level and the International Baccalaureate in China with English speaking students from all around the world. He mostly taught juniors and seniors with a few freshman and sophomores.  

It was an awesome opportunity to travel, meet a wide variety of people, and it gave me a chance to get to know more about Chinese culture,” he said.

Although he lived and taught in China, he doesn’t know much of the Chinese language. He didn’t have a translator so he did his best to learn the language in order to get around.

He came back to the states to be closer to Wisconsin and to family after he met his wife in China.