Volunteers teach De Pere High to vote

Back to Article
Back to Article

Volunteers teach De Pere High to vote

With fall brings pumpkin spice flavored everything, pumpkin patches, and most importantly voting season. With November elections right around the corner, newly eligible voters need help registering.

On Oct 16, a group of local volunteers set up shop in the De Pere High School commons during lunch time to help the 18-year-olds register.

Three volunteers talked about the importance and honor of voting, and how it’s a shame when people don’t.

“If they can fight in Vietnam at 18, they should vote,” CJ said.

Furthermore, she talked about the way the younger generations could potentially sway future elections. With tragedies like school shootings, and events like March For Our Lives, laws like those pertaining to gun control are more relevant to students than ever before, and as students get older they become more and more engaged.

“They are our future, and laws affect them directly,” CJ said.

Julie talked about how she thinks schools should teach students how to register, because it is simple and how people won’t learn without help.

“Students don’t learn to register in school, and it’s important they do,” she said.

Similarly, Lori talked about a high school in Pulaski they had visited, and how they taught the government classes to sign up themselves and others.

The process itself is simple, according to the volunteers. Students who are currently 18 or will be on or before the voting day (Nov. 6) can visit https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/, as long as they have a license or a valid ID. The website is linked to the DMV, so students who don’t know their license number can look up their name and find it. Additionally, students without a license or ID can visit the high school office and get a proof of enrollment form to sign up.

These volunteers have visited 12 different locations in the past four weeks, including high schools, libraries, and even nursing homes. About 10-20 people have registered at each location, totalling about 100-120 new voters for the upcoming elections.

This number is growing, more and more people register every year.

“People want to have a voice,” Lori said.