The Birds’ Nest is flying around the school

Back to Article
Back to Article

Julia Broadrick, Staff writer

The Birds’ Nest delivery service is up and running.

A mini-cafe located in the back commons, the Birds’ Nest is making some changes this year including the time it is open and a new delivery service.

The Birds’ Nest has started delivering to 2nd and 3rd hour Study Hall, Guided Studies, and Freshman Resource classrooms.

Students can place their orders by going to the DPHS home page, clicking on the students bar then clicking ‘Birds Nest Order Form’. Those in a 2nd hour class must place orders by 8:05 a.m., and students in a 3rd hour class must order by 8:55 a.m.

“[Students] can order it on their  phones,” said Heather Reitmeyer, a District Food Service Manager. “There are a la carte items. It doesn’t have to be a full breakfast. Within 20 minutes of their class starting, they will have that delivery to them.”

Paying for the delivery is easy, Reitmeyer said.

“[We use a] portable POS (point of sale) station,” she said. “You can scan your card and then it will just go off your account. If you want to pay cash, you can pay cash. It is the same system as if you are going through the lunch line.”

The delivery service is all still a work in progress, so changes might still be made regarding who can receive food and drinks. Students have asked if the delivery service will be available to other classes and study halls.

“It is up to the principals,” Reitmeyer said. “Their decision was to have it open to the study halls. The principals don’t want it to be disruptive (to classes). Would it ever change? I don’t know.”

The Birds’ Nest opens in the morning at 6:45 a.m. and closes at 9:37 a.m.