Take note: Music education an important part of high school curriculum

Violet Smale, Staff writer

Throughout high school, adolescents face a myriad of insecurities and a whirlwind of emotions, made all the more complicated by the pressure of school, jobs, college, and social struggles.

To further complicate this issue, many teens feel they aren’t “smart” because they don’t excel in math or science.

This is where music education comes into play. Music education allows for a wider variety of students to feel strong, confident, and intelligent.

It all starts in elementary school, with the mandatory music class everyone remembers so fondly. Whether you were experimenting with colorful instruments or trying to level up in recorder karate, music class was always the most exciting part of the day. It had something for everyone: songs of every genre and language, hands-on activities for tactile learners, and plenty of rich history for those more academically-motivated. At a young age, music class made the promise that music has a place for everyone.

When it comes to a higher-level, more specific music education (band, choir, or orchestra, for example), students begin to learn the true essence of musicianship, such as technique, sight-reading, and theory.

These concepts are extremely rigorous and present education in a whole new light: math is taught through time signatures and counting notes, and a whole new language is taught through learning to read music. Every skill taught in music class can be utilized in the classroom.

Finally, perhaps the greatest value of music education is the life skills that it teaches. Music teaches perseverance when learning difficult concepts, responsibility and accountability to practice until perfection, and helps kids make friends with similar interests.

To sum it all up, music education provides valuable experiences and teaches important lessons that can’t always been found in core classes. All school districts should continue to stress the importance of music education.

1 Comment

One Response to “Take note: Music education an important part of high school curriculum”

1. Patty Withbroe Riske on January 26th, 2019 7:58 am

Bravo, Violet!! You are a champion for sharing your thoughts about the importance of music education!!
    Music education and/or a fine arts education should be required of all high school students! The creative thinking, cooperative work ethic, and perseverance are all important concepts to make life more meaningful, assist with us becoming more successful, and living happy lives.
    In addition to math being part of music, most music vocabulary is from a variety of foreign languages. Science touches music when listening to the pulsating sound waves while adjusting for intonation. Some music has been influenced by historical events. The list goes on and on. Music truly touches our heart, mind, and soul!!
    Once again, Violet, thanks for sharing this important article. I am a proud 1975 graduate of DPHS and serve as a band director in a small school in Wisconsin (160 total high school students in grades 9-12 where 78 students are enrolled in the band). Obviously, music has touched my life and I am grateful for being part of a wonderful music tradition at DPHS! Keep up the great work and best wishes in the future, Violet!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.